Students began painting their class numerals on "The Hill" in the early 1900s. Since the numbers changed annually, the students decided they wanted something more permanent that would promote loyalty and pride. The Block U was originally built in 1907 on Mount Van Cott. In 1969, the design was modified and 124 lights were installed. Seated 5,300 feet above sea level and standing 100 feet tall, the Block U can be seen for miles. Lighted primarily for athletic events, the Block U notifies everyone in the Salt Lake Valley and beyond that the Utes are playing at home, flashing after a victory.
Restoring the Block U
- New concrete for the main Block U structure
- New drainage system and improvements to prevent erosion
- New fiber optic light
The restoration of the Block U was completed in the fall of 2006.